Makes 6, serving size filled ½ pepper
- 3 large red bell peppers
- 1 lb. lean, ground turkey (or 20 oz)
- 1/2 tbsp. olive, avocado, or coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 12 oz fresh salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn (optional)
- 1 cup black beans (rinse if canned)
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, diced small
- 1 cup brown rice
- Shredded cheese
- Fresh cilantro, chopped green onions, and lime wedges for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Slice peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Place peppers in a large pot of boiling water for 3 minutes, then drain very well or broil for 3-4 minutes to soften.
- Place peppers in a single layer in a glass baking dish and set aside.
- Sauté onions in the oil for 2-3 minutes, then add the turkey in a pot and cook until browned.
- Add the cumin and chili powder, and corn (optional) and continue cooking.
- Drain if necessary and add salsa. Stir.
In a large mixing bowl combine:
- The precooked turkey mixture and all remaining ingredients and any of the optional ingredients.
- Combine ingredients, scoop tightly into peppers. Top with shredded cheese if desired.
- Bake at 350 for about 15-20 until heated through.