I like Fettuccine Alfredo! I can actually feel how much I love it when I think about how much I consumed it in the past. I haven’t had it lately because it can really weigh me down. I heard about a recipe that uses cottage cheese – which I do not like to eat – and thought I would give it a try. It was pretty good – now, it’s not the alfredo sauce of my memories, but it’s a comfort food I’m willing to adapt now and then. I might have overdone it on the lemon zest the first time – my family thought it was more lemony than cheesy.
That is one thing I think is an important adjustment when you move to clean eating. Foods are different – they may be similar in name, but it becomes necessary to adopt new flavors and favorites knowing that they are better for you and your body. If you want to add a bigger protein punch, add in chicken and/or shrimp!
- 1 1/2 cups 2% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, shredded
- 2 cloves garlic (Adjust to your level of garlic love:)
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp loosely packed lemon zest
- 4 Tbsp lowfat milk
- Sea salt or Pink Himalayan salt to taste
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- Parsley to garnish (optional)
Combine all ingredients, except parsley, in a small saucepan over low, low heat. Stir constantly, until mixture is hot and cheese has melted.
- Transfer to blender.
- Blend smooth.
- Pour over your favorite pasta. (Quinoa, Veggie, Whole Grain)
- Garnish with parsley, black pepper and sea salt, if desired.
21 Day Fix (per 1 cup serving)
- 1 red
- 1 blue